Diseases & Treatment
There are a range of diseases and ailments that are cured by pulmonologists:
- Asthma: This is a chronic illness with symptoms such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, etc.
- Bronchiectasis: This disease comes as an aftermath to any damage caused to the bronchial airways. Infections occur in the spot where the tubes get distended. A person may carry bronchiectasis since birth or develop later in life.
- Bronchitis: This disease comes with an infection that causes inflammatory conditions in the airways. These infections can either be short-lived or chronic.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD): This is an entire category of lung diseases within itself and causes conditions such as lung tissue damage, airway inflammation, and limited airflow. Chronic bronchitis are the most known kinds of COPD.
- Chronic Bronchitis: This is a kind of COPD that is usually detected when the patient shows symptoms like cough with mucus on a frequent basis across a span of 3 months or more.
- Emphysema: This disease impacts the alveoli (or the air sacs). This condition is known to occur when the air sacs become less elastic and are not able to fully deflate.
- Interstitial Lung Disease: This category includes an exhaustive list of lung disorders. Symptoms however for each disease can be different as different ILDs are associated with different symptoms. ILD usually begins with inflammation of the lung tissues and scarring of the alveoli.
- Occupational Lung Disease: An illness that is caused by exposure to irritating or toxic substances in the work environment. These substances may trigger acute or chronic respiratory problems with a severe single exposure or more commonly due to prolonged or repeated exposure.
- Sarcoidosis: This condition is usually associated with granulomas which grow and stick together to prevent certain organs from functioning normally. It begins from the lymph nodes or the lungs and very often affects the liver, eyes, and skin.
Our expert team of pulmonologists consisting of some of the top lung specialists in Kolkata, are highly specialized in complex surgical and medical procedures and have many years of experience treating patients of all ages while exercising the utmost care, taking into account the complete satisfaction of the individual. The top pulmonologists in Kolkata at Fortis work in collaboration with the experts of almost all other specialties in order to deliver personalised and effective care to the patient.