Diseases & Treatment
A cardiologist usually deals with ailments such as:
- Coronary Heart Disease
- Congenital Heart Disease
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Ventricular Tachycardia
- BP and / or Hypertension
You are advised to pay regular visits to your cardiologist even without the symptoms just in case you have a family history of heart diseases as that increases one's risk of contracting a heart disease, especially if you are a heavy smoker, diabetic, or have started a new exercise regime. Fortis Kolkata has been ranked as one of the best cardiac hospitals in Kolkata.
A cardiologist will usually begin by reading the patient's previous medical history along with their family history with cardiac diseases and then proceed for a thorough physical examination.
They may even choose to examine the patient's lungs, heart, and BP, and carry out some necessary tests which are mostly available at our Hospital. There is someone known as an interventional cardiologist who will carry out certain procedures like stenting, angiography, angioplasties, treating congenital heart defects, heart failure and coronary thrombectomy.
There are a range of tests that a cardiologist can recommend basis the condition of the patient -
- Electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG): This is used to capture the electrical movements of the heart.
- Ambulatory ECG: This is used to record the rhythm of a person when they are carrying out routine, everyday tasks.
- Exercise Test: This is also known as a stress test and is used to determine the changes in the rhythm of heart during exercise / rest.
- Echocardiogram: This is a part of imaging diagnostics used to obtain an image of the structure of the heart's chambers and nearby areas. This test is most commonly used to assess the functioning of the heart, and its cardiac output. It can also identify inflammation surrounding the heart which is called pericarditis.
- Cardiac catheterization: This employs the use of a small tube that accumulates data and helps eliminate blockage. This can even be used to take images of the heart's functioning and the electrical system. Coronary angiogram and Right heart Catherization are such procedures.
- Nuclear Cardiology: This is a non-invasive procedure where radioactive materials are employed to study disorders. Examples: Infarction imaging, planar imaging, SPECT, and myocardial imaging.
- Cardiac Electrophysiology: This is not just a test but almost a subspecialty under cardiology responsible for studying the currents inside the heart.
- Electrophysiology Study (EPS): In this case, a catheter is thwarted into the top leg vein which is then furthered through fluoroscopy as it enters the heart.
Fortis Kolkata houses some of the best heart specialists in Kolkata who have years of experience in the above-mentioned procedures.
An EPS of the heart helps in:
- Identifying the causes for symptoms
- Assess the need for a pacemaker
- Treatment for arrhythmia
- Treatment for abnormal rhythms, cardiac ablation, and implantable cardioverter defibrillators
Fortis Kolkata has established itself over the years as one of the best cardiology hospitals in Kolkata. Be rest assured that no matter the age and condition of the patient, our specialists at Fortis will put in their best efforts to ensure their patient's complete recovery.