Common conditions treated by Â vascular interventional procedures include:
Adult CTVS (Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery)
Surgical interventions that are performed to treat heart ailments are commonly known as cardiac surgery. The renowned team of Cardiothoracic Vascular Surgery Department (CTVS) specialises in diagnosing and treating various complex and difficult-to-treat cardiothoracic disorders with perfection. Some of the common heart surgeries performed by the team include.
Aortic Surgery - Carried out to repair / replace aortic aneurysms & dissections
Aortic Valve Surgery that is performed to repair or replace aortic valve. The surgery can be carried out in the following different ways:
- MAZE Procedures for AF
- Arrhythmia Surgery - A surgical procedure to correct irregular heart rhythms such as atrial fibrillation or ventricular tachycardia
- Corrective Surgery to fix or treat a genetic heart defect or Congenital heart surgery
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG) - Commonly known as Heart Bypass surgery/ Coronary Bypass surgery, is a surgical procedure which creates alternate routes for blood to flow to the heart tissue, bypassing the narrowed/blocked arteries (leading to what is known as Coronary Artery Disease). For the procedure, a healthy blood vessel (also called a graft) is taken from one area of patient's own body and is placed around the narrowed/blocked area to restore blood flow to the heart. The goal of this procedure is to relieve symptoms of coronary artery disease (including angina), enable the patient to resume a normal lifestyle and to lower the risk of a heart attack or other heart problems.
Surgery for heart failure
- LVAD or Left ventricular assist device - A device that aids in the pumping function, thereby circulating blood inside the body
- Left ventricular remodelling/surgical ventricular restoration - This is a technique that provides the heart with a more normal shape post a MI, allowing the heart to pump blood efficiently
- Heart transplant - A surgery to treat end stage heart failure - a condition that occurs when the heart can't pump enough oxygenated blood to meet the needs of the body's organs
- Awake heart surgeries (on or off-pump cardiac surgeries under high thoracic epidural without general anaesthesia)
Cardiothoracic and vascular procedures / surgery
-Â Bypass surgery
-Â Major Aortic Cardiac Aneurysm Surgeries
-Â Minimal access aortic arch replacement
-Â Aortic surgery
- Endovascular aortic surgery
At Fortis, our hospitals are also equipped with dedicated Cardiothoracic ICUs with up to 1:1 nursing ratio, 24X7. Each ICU is equipped with the following facilities:
-Â Color Doppler system
-Â Echocardiography (ECG) system
-Â Continuous oxygen supply
-Â Infusion pumps
-Â Pressure monitoring systems
-Â Temporary pace maker both transdermal and transvenous
-Â Intra-aortic balloon pump
-Â ABG (Blood Gas machine)
-Â Electrolytes analysis machines
The vascular and interventional specialists in Kolkata at Fortis are trained and highly experienced experts in diagnosing vascular problems. Right from non-invasive testing such as MRI, angiography to comprehensive management of a patient including screening, medication and risk management; the team is capable of accurately handling all of these crucial steps. The technical proficiency of some of the vascular intervention radiologists here in Kolkata can be witnessed at Fortis Kolkata. Building a relationship with the patient and by working closely with them, is a matter of pride for us. This allows our specialists to investigate the case thoroughly after talking to the patient extensively. This helps the doctor determine through vascular interventional radiography if a vascular surgery is a viable option.
Right from the diagnosis of the patient (and his loved ones) receive, to the treatment that helps the patient get the life back on track, Fortis Kolkata is part of the healing and recovery process. The experts aided by the state-of-the-art technology leave no stone unturned to find a tailored treatment from the diagnosis. Our team after an in-depth analysis and diagnosis has a detailed conversation with the patient and their families to explain the procedure in detail. It is the proficiency and expertise of all our department's staff that our vascular surgeries have an astoundingly high success rate.